Non-Immigrant Visa “O” in Thailand

There are certain categories of non-immigrant visas that foreigners can obtain before entering into Thailand. In this article, we talk about the purposes and eligibility of obtaining a non-immigrant “O” visa and non-immigrant “O-A” visa.

Foreigners can apply for a non-immigrant “O” visa at a Thai embassy in their home country and extend his stay in Thailand at the Immigration Office based on the following purposes:

  1. In order to stay with the family in Thailand
  2. To stay as a diplomat’s servant
  3. To perform duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations
  4. To stay after retirement for the elderly
  5. To stay in the Kingdom of Thailand as a former Thai citizen
  6. To receive medical treatment
  7. To be a contestant or witness for the judicial process
  8. To stay in the Kingdom as a stepfather/stepmother of Thai citizen or as a daughter/son of stepfather/stepmother who has Thai nationality

On another note, for foreigners aged 50 years and above, they can choose to apply for a non-immigrant “O-A” visa rather than a typical retirement visa. This type of visa may be issued to applicants for a 1 year period and employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.


  • applicant must be at least 50 years old (on the day of submitting the application)
  • applicant who is not prohibited from entering Thailand as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979)
  • applicant without any criminal records in Thailand and in his home country
  • applicant who is a national or permanent resident in the country where application is submitted
  • applicant with no prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535

ThaiLawyers can assist in getting a Thai non-immigrant “B” visa (so that he can apply for a Thailand work permit) including non-O visas such as dependent and retirement visa. Contact us now for initial consultation.

Leave a Comment